Our Sustain Your Self™ series offers events and inspirational campaigns designed to support women's health and wellness. Too often women take care of everything and everyone else, letting their health go in the process.
Our wombs are our children's first environment and our arms often their primary source of comfort but while it's a beautiful gift to nurture, love, and care for those around you, if you don't also care for your self, you won't have anything left to give.
Further, as Go Green Get Fit CoFounder Erin Naumowicz says, "No matter how hard parents try to teach good habits to our children, if we don’t take care of our own bodies, this is the example they will learn from."
More Inspiration for Personal Sustainability:
- A 2008 Center for Disease Control study found a majority of American women overextended, depressed, anxious and isolated. (US Center for Disease Control (CDC), 2008)
- In 2010, only 16.4% of women age 18 and older met Federal Physical Activity Guidelines (CDC 2012).
- Research has shown that as weight increases to reach the levels referred to as "overweight" and "obesity,"* the risks for the following conditions also increases: Coronary heart disease, Type 2 diabetes, certain Cancers, Hypertension, Dyslipidemia, Stroke , Liver and Gallbladder disease, Sleep apnea and respiratory problems, Osteoarthritis, and Gynecological problems. (CDC 2011) *Overweight is defined as a body mass index (BMI) of 25 or higher; obesity is defined as a BMI of 30 or higher.
- Among women age 20 and older, the following are overweight or obese: 59.3% of non-Hispanic whites; 70.8% of non-Hispanic blacks and 75.1% of Mexican Americans (CDC 2012)
- One in three female adults has some kind of cardiovascular disease (CDC, 2012)
- 12.6 million, or 10.8% of all women aged 20 years or older have Diabetes (American Diabetes Association, 2011)
- To Nurture the Women Who Nurture their Families and our World.
- To support women in taking Better Care of themselves and give them the tools to make health and wellness a permanent and sustainable priority in their lives
- To Play More, Spend More Time In Nature, Connect More with Friends and Family: Hiking, Exercising, Exploring…and much more!
- Getting Women Moving
- Holistic Nutrition
- Outdoor Adventure
- Sustainability Education
- Eco-Friendly Fitness Product Recommendations
Sustain Your Self™ Programs Include: